Friday, July 6, 2012

parenting.

Sorry these blogs are becoming more personal... these more recent ones aren't all from the material we covered... but also from what I felt the Spirit teach me. I don't feel like that happens as often as it should. But oh my gosh, it's amazing when it does.
My Patriarchal Blessing blesses me to be a mother, one who raises my children in a home centered around the gospel of Jesus Christ. It warns me to live worthy of this trust.
For me, parenting is more spiritual than anything.
Being a parent isn't just giving birth. I don't think that qualifies you to be a parent. Being a parent is about loving, raising, rearing, protecting, providing, teaching, sacrificing, guiding, and the list goes on. It isn't for eighteen years. It is eternal. It is forever. As members of the church, that's what we "sign up" for: forever. What I don't think "parents" realize is the sacred responsibility they have to their children.
We talked in class about the strait and narrow path, as discussed in Lehi's dream. Notice it's spelled strait, not straight. However, both terms can be applied. But lets stick with strait.
Straight is more of a geographic term. It is indirect, but leads to somewhere. Straits can be considered very dangerous, but it is necessary because it also protects as you are brought to much opportunity. I'm sure the strait and narrow path is just straight. I'm sure there are bends and winds, that's why people get lost. That's why it's important to remember it's narrow, you can't stray too far.
When being a parent, remember guidance and Godhood. I think they coincide much more than we realize. Parents, protect your children. Prepare them to survive and thrive. Teach them in warmth and confidence. Put a lot more consideration in how you act as a parent. Never give up on yourself or a child. Teach them responsibility, or, response ability.
Teach your children to make choices, wise choices. Teach them, however, that choices have natural consequences. THese consequences are what ultimately teach them. Just remember to do this unless the consequences are too dangerous, too far in the future to teach, or if the consequences will affect others.
Parents must be wise. What more can I say than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment