Friday, June 22, 2012

communication.

I feel like we hear so often in life that communication is the most important part of marriage. While I'm not sure I can say it is the MOST important thing, I do know that it is incredibly crucial.I think it's also very important to note, communication isn't narrowed down to simply verbal.
Did you know that in communication, only 14% is verbal? 35% is tone. And 51% is non-verbal (actions, body language, etc.)!? How are you communicating, and what exactly ARE you communicating? I think this is so important! I'm realizing that it is true, actions speak louder than words.
Reality is we very barely verbal communicate. We text. And when we do verbally communicate, how much of it is true? We talked a little in class about how much time has changed, and how much a letter can mean...
Want to know a secret? I began to fall for someone through letters. Weird, right? Not totally I guess, but you learn SO much through letter writing. It feels honest. Now I have to take that honesty on paper into real life.
Another thing we talked about in class was how to counsel with our spouse. A good way of going about this is done just the same way the apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints counsel. No matter the religion, consider these steps:
1. Set a time and place, that way there is never confusion.
2 Speak love and gratitude to each other. This is more important than you think!
3. Open with prayer. Invite the Spirit, invite love to be shown. Seek answers that the Lord will give.
4. Discuss until consensus matches the Lord's will.
5. Pray again. Yes. Again.
6. Refreshments! Treat yourself :)

I definitely think this is something I want to carry into my future marriage!

No comments:

Post a Comment