Saturday, May 5, 2012

fam theories

This week in class we focused on a variety of theories. It is important to state that theories are not factual. They do however help in explaining things, but should not be used as laws or truths. These theories include systems, exchange, symbolic, and conflict theories. Each have distinct differences that separate them from each other. Like we did in class, this blog will be focused on systems theory.
Systems theory in a family looks at a picture as a whole (the whole, big picture). The family systems theory consists of rules and roles. Nothing is more important than the other because as a whole pictures, each piece is significant.
I’ve been thinking a lot of my family as a system. Roles are very clear. I’m beginning to think it’s possible that some roles are not positive, but are essential. I for example, was probably the trouble maker, along with my brother, Jacob. In fact, my family called me Jacobina. We were horrid… like seriously. I fought with my parents just because I knew I was good at it. And I just did and acted in ways I should not have that this blog world doesn’t need to know. It’s surprising that my family still loves me at all:) But roles change, which is comforting! I’m definitely working on changing my role in the family, because I’d rather have my role be positive than a negative one.
As for rules, we had some that were spoken and unspoken. Here are a few of them:
-Don’t disrespect mom. If you do, you’re in a lot of trouble. (I can bear witness to that)
-Church is not an option.
-Obey curfew (except as my parents got older, this rule was jumped around because they’d fall asleep)
-Remember Who You Are. This seems like a strange thing to consider a rule, but it was something we lived by. We were reminded how we were a “Danielson,” and we were to respect that name.
-We had to pretend to be angels at Grandma and Grandpa’s. This one was easy, we always seemed to be on our best behavior there.
What are some of your family rules and roles?

No comments:

Post a Comment